Thursday 1 March 2012

Audition Stress

Auditions for this years musical are coming up in less than a week and I am experiencing...singers block? It's similar to writers block where there is a difficulty putting words on paper except my problem is finding a song for my audition. I just can't seem to find anything that screams 'YES! Use me to audition with'. I can't even find anything that whispers that!

I had a flirtation with Green Finch and Linnet Bird from Sweeney Todd. Well, it was more like she gave me a coy look from across the bar, I approached cautiously with my best smile and chat-up line. Turned me down flat.

There were a few others that looked like they could be promising. I had a little grind with Your Song, Elton John, on the dance floor but she soon found a better partner.

The same happened with Ellie Gouldings The Writer. I even managed to buy her a drink. It was looking good, I was feeling confident about this one so I gave her my number. She gave me some excuse and left. Its fair to say my night wasn't a success.

Finding a song is so stressful. You have less than 2 minutes to present the best you to the director and musical theatre director. You want to show them everything you can do: your range, your ability to belt, your expression and emotion. You want it all to be there, for your song and performance to encapsulate the real essence of you and what you can give to the show.

And somehow, it's just not happening this time.
And it's so frustrating.

No comments:

Post a Comment