Friday 10 February 2012

Fill in the Blanks Friday

Do you ever think that maybe you should have been a bit braver, tried a bit harder, been a little less reserved and that now it might be too late to reverse that?

Yes, I'm a big, cowardly lion when it comes to these kinds of dilemas

It was re-freshers fayre today which means that most of the societies, sports teams and organisations within the uni have a stall and some members to represent them and encourage people to sign up. So naturally one would think that they want people to join but it just doesn't feel true of all societies. Some are part way through productions, they are fully cast and have no space for new recruits, some look very cliquey, some just look plain weird. I know that for both of my societies, new members is not a problem, even if having to explain the rules of fizz, buzz, boing yet again get's a groan!

But for the societies I want to join, I can't help feeling like I've missed the opportunity. Now that I have a wider social circle here I feel that if I join a society that some of my friends are in, it will look like I'm either copying them or coming just to be with them. And particularly in some cases, I don't want people to get the wrong impression.  So to what extent should I be hesitant about joining new societies? How much should I put off until next year and when do I say, screw it, I've wanted to have a go at this for too long? And when training fits into my only two free days of the week, can I just forget what other people will think and jump in, literally.

Seeing as it's friday, you know what it's time for...


Today's blanks are brought to you by the lovely Courtney at A Box of Paint.


1.  I started my blog because   I couldn't sleep one night and decided it was the perfect time to execute an idea I'd been mulling over for a while. I wanted a place to write down my thoughts and feelings, to work out my anxieties and document my successes. In many ways, although I didn't start with this intention, it has become a record of my progress through uni and my personal growth and change.

2.   One thing I love seeing on other blogs  is their personal successes. A recent favourite of mine was Chlays post about her huge acheivement. Chlay suffers from ME, a hugely debilitating illness that a close friend of mine also suffers from and recently was able to make a huge acheivement. I hope that she inspires lots of other people, sufferers and non-sufferers alike.

3.  Something I love about blogging  is being able to put all my words down, as if in a diary, but also being able to add pictures and formatting which enhance the post. Being able to edit, to scrutinise and be ruthless about what you want to keep and share and what is rubbish so that, by the time you post it, you feel you have accomplished something you could never do in a paper diary.

4. A favorite blog post of mine is probably Sanity versus The World (link) because it is so honest and really helped me figure out a difficult decision. However, for a lighthearted and entertaining post that I particularly enjoyed writing, I would have to choose this one. Plus, it's based on my real life events and makes me chuckle every time... and cringe.

5. Something my friends in real life know about me that I've never before mentioned on my blog is that recently my hands have started shaking, only a slight tremmor and it's also present in my legs. Being the somewhat medically paranoid person I am, I saw my doctor and she booked a blood test, fine, and then a few days later I got a call asking for me to do a repeat test. It's scary times when you have to look after yourself and hold the whole burden of your health and any issues.

6.  My new favorite blogs to read are a couple of blogs written by people I know.  A Blogging Lark, writtenwhirred, Mental Playground and Love-Laugh-ReadI find it so entertaining to read about my friends lives in they way that they experience and portray them compared to the way that I see them.

7.  Some things I tend to avoid doing on my blog are  mentioning friends names and places specifically. If you met me casually in real life you wouldn't guess but ask the people I live with and they will tell you how particular I am about security. I have my facebook on insanely high privacy settings, this blog mentions my nickname only and no friends are named directly, there are no face or location identifying pictures and I insist on closing my windows and shutting my curtains every single time I leave my bedroom, even if it's just to pop to the kitchen. Often times I'll even lock my door but that's more to prevent my creepy neighbour getting into my bed than to preven burglary!
 
 Have a wonderful weekend, enjoy the snow (if there's any) and keep your fingers crossed for ours to melt away quickly!

No comments:

Post a Comment